When clients in South Dakota or Wyoming Dakota have a complex legal matter that requires the eye of a litigation attorney, they contact Barker Law Firm, LLC. Led by board-certified attorney Ken Barker, our law firm offers the wisdom and knowledge to reach the results you need.
Our reputation as one of South Dakota /Wyoming’s preeminent litigation firms stems from our over 38 years of reaching successful verdicts and out-of-court settlements for our clients. We demonstrate exceptional skill in every area of law we practice, including:
- Catastrophic motor vehicle collisions: After a crash, you may need compensation for damages, including hospital costs, treatment, and lost wages.
- Wildland fires: If a fire damaged your land or caused an injury, our attorney can help you explore your options for compensation.
- Insurance disputes: We have gone up against the toughest insurance companies and won maximum compensation for our clients.
Whether you need an advocate during out-of-court negotiations or an aggressive trial attorney in court, Barker Law Firm, LLC is prepared to represent you.
Led By A Board-Certified Trial Attorney
How can you trust that Barker Law Firm, LLC will provide excellent counsel? Our founding attorney, Ken Barker, is board-certified by the National Board of Trial Advocacy as a Civil Trial Specialist. He is one of few attorneys in the country who is considered an expert in civil litigation. Mr. Barker has helped recover over $100 million for his clients.
Kenneth E. Barker
- University of South Dakota School of Law, Vermillion, South Dakota
- J.D. – 1985
- South Dakota State University, Brookings, South Dakota
- B.S. – 1982
- Honors: Dean’s List
- Major: Economics
- Major: Political Science
Classes & Seminars
- Give the Jury a Place to Hang Its Hat–Simplify Your Case, Galaxy of Rising Stars Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1991
- Dealing with Dirty Tricks: Zealous Advocate or Hardball Litigator?, Mastering Trial Strategies and Tactics Seminar, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Maui, Hawaii, 1992
- Demonstrative Evidence–Storyboards and PET Scans, South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, Spring Seminar, Sioux Falls, South Dakota, 1994
- Know When to Run (How Do You Handle Difficult Clients), South Dakota Trial Lawyers Association, Fall Seminar, Deadwood, South Dakota, 1994
- David v. Goliath?–Using Chiropractic Experts to Prove Damages, Association of Trial Lawyers of America, Jazz Fest, New Orleans, Louisiana, 1996
- Issues & Lessons from Grizzly Gulch Power Line Fire Litigation, 2011
- Oil Creek Fire: A Slippery Slope, 2017
Pro Bono Activities
- South Dakota Game Fish and Parks Commissioner, 1997 to 2005
- Belle Fourche Community Center Board., 1997 to 2005
- Chair, South Dakota Game Fish and Parks Commissioner, 1998 to 2005
- “The New Federalism: Time for States to Pull the Plow in Soil Conservation”, South Dakota Law Review, Vol. 30 S. D. L. Rev. No. 3
- “Jury Selection in the Next Century” , NDTLA, October, 1999
- “Making an Impact: The Trial of an Automobile Collision Case”, ATLA, January, 2000
- State Bar of South Dakota, Member, Committees on Lawyer Referral and Negligence and Tort Law
- Wyoming State Bar, 1995
- American Bar Association
- South Dakota Trial Lawyers
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Belle Fourche Chamber of Commerce, President, 1988
- South Dakota Board of Regents, Student Regent, 1982 to 1985
- Butte County Bar, President, 1990
Certified Legal Specialties
- Board Certified Trial Specialist, National Board of Trial Advocacy
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Wildland Fire Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Litigation
- Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA)
- Products Liability
- Premises Liability
- Professional Liability
- Spinal Injury
- Brain Injury
- Fraud and Deceit
- South Dakota, 1985
- Wyoming, 1996
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1994
- Named in “The Best Lawyers in America” Continuously since 2001
- Personal Injury – Plaintiffs Lawyers of the Year – Rapid City Area for years 2013, 2016 and 2019 selected by his peers
- Super Lawyers, continuously since 2007
- Lesmeister v. American Colloid Company, 1993174690
- Holzer v. Provider’s Fidelity Insurance Company
- Stevens v. Wood Saw Mill, et al.
- McIlravy, et al. v. Kerr-McGee, 1997162479
- Filip Johnson v. Central Plains Clinic, et al.
- Schuldies v. Millar, et al., 1996217901
- Galen Andrews v. Medical Associates Clinic, et al.
- Brunner v. Lear-Siegler, 1991130494
- Clausen v. Aberdeen Grain Inspection, 1999129653